Hamar (häˈmär) [key], city (1995 pop. 26,284), capital of Hedmark co., SE Norway, on Lake Mjøsa. It is a commercial, industrial, and winter-sports center. Hamar was founded in 1152 as an episcopal see by Nicholas Breakspear (later Pope Adrian IV) and is now a Lutheran episcopal see.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Hamar from Infoplease:
- Hammarskjöld: meaning and definitions - Hammarskjöld: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hedmark - Hedmark Hedmark , county (1995 pop. 186,657), c.10,600 sq mi (27,500 sq km), SE Norway, bordering ...
- Mjøsa - Mjøsa Mjøsa , largest lake of Norway, 141 sq mi (365 sq km), and 1,453 ft (443 m) ...
- Current Government Officials: Bahrain - World > Heads of State Info Bahrain Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments ...
- Encyclopedia: Scandinavian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Scandinavian Political Geography.