Halmstad (hälmˈstädˌ) [key], city (1990 est. pop. 48,880), capital of Halland co., SW Sweden, a seaport on the Kattegat at the mouth of the Nissan River. It is an industrial center and summer resort. Manufactures include textiles, engineering, brewing, and paper, and shipbuilding is carried on. Chartered in 1307, Halmstad was an important fortified city of Denmark before being conquered by Sweden in 1645. Of note are a Gothic church (14th cent.) and a 17th-century castle.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Halmstad from Infoplease:
- Halmstad: meaning and definitions - Halmstad: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/halmstad - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index H, h ha haaf Haag Haakon VII haar Haarlem Hab. Hába Habakkuk Habana ...
- Sweden - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Sweden and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Sweden — map of Sweden, geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, and the national flag.
- Encyclopedia: Scandinavian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Scandinavian Political Geography.