Hakone (häˌkōˈnā) [key], resort region, Kanagawa prefecture, central Honshu, Japan. Famous for its mountains, lakes, and hot springs, it is included in Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park, of which the central feature is Mt. Fuji. The Hakone Shrine (built 757), a major shrine of central Japan, is one of the many religious monuments that dot the area.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Hakone from Infoplease:
- Haakon VII: meaning and definitions - Haakon VII: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hakon - Hakon. Hakon. For rulers of Norway thus named, use Haakon.
- Haakon IV - Haakon IV Haakon IV (Haakon Haakonsson), 1204–63, king of Norway (1217–63), ...
- Haakon VII - Haakon VII Haakon VII, 1872–1957, king of Norway (1905–57). Formerly Prince Charles, ...
- Yamanashi - Yamanashi Yamanashi , prefecture (1990 pop. 852,980), 1,724 sq mi (4,465 sq km), central Honshu, ...