Gyula (dyŏˈlŏ) [key], town (1991 est. pop. 34,154), SE Hungary, on the White Koros River near the Romanian border. It is an agricultural center and has a fine château and a 14th-century castle. Ferenc Erkel, composer of the Hungarian national anthem, was born in Gyula.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Gyula from Infoplease:
- Andrássy: meaning and definitions - Andrássy: Definition and Pronunciation
- Andrássy, Julius, Count, 1860–1929, Hungarian politician - Andrássy, Julius, Count Andrássy, Julius, Count, 1860–1929, Hungarian ...
- Julius Gombos - Gombos, Julius Gombos, Julius , Hung. Gömbös Gyula, 1886–1936, Hungarian premier ...
- The Red and the White (1967) (Csillagosok, Katonak) - Starring Jozsef Madaras, Tibor Molnar, András Kozak, Jacint Juhasz, Anatoli Yabbarov
- Brassaï - Brassaï Brassaï , 1899–1984, French photographer, b. Brassó, Hungary (now ...