Guildford (gĭlˈfərd) [key], town (1991 pop. 61,509) and district, Surrey, SE England, on the Wey River. The county seat of Surrey, Guildford is a market and residential commuter town of London. Manufactures include knitwear, plastics, and engineered goods. Sheep and cattle fairs are held in the town. The Univ. of Surrey is in Guildford, which is also where Lewis Carroll is buried.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Guildford from Infoplease:
- In the Name of the Father - Irish Movies Introduction 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next by Beth Rowen In the Name of the ...
- The Owl and the Nightingale - Owl and the Nightingale, The Owl and the Nightingale, The, Middle English poem written probably by ...
- William Shakespeare: Henry VIII, Dramatis Personae -
- Surrey - Surrey Surrey, county (1991 pop. 997,000), 653 sq mi (1,691 sq km), SE England. The county seat is ...
- Piers Morgan - Biography of Piers Morgan, U.K. tabloid journalist who became a CNN talk show host