Guanabara (gwänäbäˈrä) [key], former state, SE Brazil, on the Atlantic Ocean; since 1974, part of the state of Rio de Janeiro. Guanabara Bay, a deep inlet of the Atlantic Ocean, is noted for its beauty. The site of the city of Rio de Janeiro, it is also called Rio de Janeiro Bay.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Guanabara from Infoplease:
- Guanabara: meaning and definitions - Guanabara: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sugarloaf Mountain: meaning and definitions - Sugarloaf Mountain: Definition and Pronunciation
- São Gonçalo - São Gonçalo São Gonçalo , city (1990 pop. 827,967), Rio de Janeiro ...
- Duque de Caxias - Duque de Caxias Duque de Caxias , city (1996 pop. 712,370), Rio de Janeiro state, SE Brazil, on ...
- Mem de Sá - Sá, Mem de Sá, Mem de , d. 1572, Portuguese colonial official, governor-general of ...