Grandson (gräNsôNˈ) [key], Ger. Grandsee, town (1990 pop. 2,473), Vaud canton, W Switzerland, at the southwestern end of the Lake of Neuchâtel. An important town in the Middle Ages, Grandson is known chiefly as the scene of the defeat (1476) of Charles the Bold of Burgundy by the Swiss Confederates. Cigars are made there today. It has a noted Romanesque-Gothic church. The town is also known as Granson.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Grandson from Infoplease:
- great-grandson: meaning and definitions - great-grandson: Definition and Pronunciation
- grandson: meaning and definitions - grandson: Definition and Pronunciation
- John Davison Rockefeller: Son and Grandsons - Son and Grandsons His son John Davison Rockefeller, Jr.,. 1874–1960, b. Cleveland, grad. ...
- The Brothers Grimm: The Old Man and His Grandson - There was once a very old man, whose eyes had become dim, his ears dull of hearing, his knees trembled, and when he sat at table he could hardly hold
- How I tried to teach the Theory of Three Dimensions to my Grandson, and with what success - I awoke rejoicing, and began to reflect on the glorious career before me. I would go forth, methought, at once, and evangelize the whole of Flatland.