Grande Prairie (Fr. gräNd prâˌrēˈ) [key], city (1991 pop. 28,271), W Alta., Canada, NW of Edmonton. It is the chief business center for the Peace River valley farming area. The discovery of oil and natural gas in the region in the late 1970s led to a short boom which dramatically increased the city's population. The Northern Winter Carnival is held in the city annually.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Grande Prairie from Infoplease:
- Grand Prairie: meaning and definitions - Grand Prairie: Definition and Pronunciation
- Grande Prairie: meaning and definitions - Grande Prairie: Definition and Pronunciation
- Grand Prairie - Grand Prairie Grand Prairie, city (1990 pop. 99,616), Dallas and Tarrant counties, N Tex., halfway ...
- Grand Prairie, Texas, Housing Statistics - Texas Atlas Housing Statistics Grand Prairie, Texas QuickFacts · Demographic · ...
- Grand Prairie, Texas, Social Statistics - Texas Atlas Social Statistics Grand Prairie, Texas QuickFacts · Demographic · ...