Gordon, river in W Tasmania, Australia, 125 mi (200 km) long. Flowing from mountains to the W coast, its main tributaries are the Franklin and Denison from the N, and Serpentine and Olga to the S. In the 1980s it was the site of controversial proposals to develop hydroelectricity.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Gordon from Infoplease:
- Gordon: meaning and definitions - Gordon: Definition and Pronunciation
- Connor: meaning and definitions - Connor: Definition and Pronunciation
- Patrick Gordon - Gordon, Patrick Gordon, Patrick, 1635–99, Scottish soldier of fortune and Russian general, b. ...
- Ruth Gordon - Gordon, Ruth Gordon, Ruth, 1896–1985, American actress and playwright, b. Wollaston, Mass. ...
- Lord George Gordon - Gordon, Lord George Gordon, Lord George, 1751–93, English agitator, whose activities resulted ...