Gorakhpur (gōˈrəkpŏrˌ) [key], city (1991 pop. 505,566), Uttar Pradesh state, N central India, on the Rapti River. Founded c.1400, it is an agricultural market and industrial center, with textile factories, sugar mills, and railway workshops. There is an airport in Gorakhpur. The city was badly damaged by an earthquake in 1934, but has since been rebuilt.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Gorakhpur from Infoplease:
- Gorakhpur: meaning and definitions - Gorakhpur: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/gorakhpur - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Gonda - Gonda Gonda , town (1991 pop. 106,078), Uttar Pradesh state, N India, on the Sarayu River and the ...
- Kabir - Kabir Kabir , 1440–1518, Indian mystic and poet. A Muslim by birth, he was a weaver in ...
- Yogananda - Yogananda Yogananda (Paramahansa Yogananda), 1893–1952, Indian mystic. He was born Mukunda ...