Gonda (gōnˈdə) [key], town (1991 pop. 106,078), Uttar Pradesh state, N India, on the Sarayu River and the Lucknow-Gorakhpur railroad. Gonda is a district administrative center and a market for corn, sugarcane, pulses, and wheat. There are industries in rice and sugar milling. It was founded by the Rajput Man Singh in the early 16th cent. during the reign of Mughal emperor Akbar.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Gonda from Infoplease:
- Dirck Volckertszoon Coornhert - Coornhert, Dirck Volckertszoon Coornhert, Dirck Volckertszoon , 1522–90, Dutch humanist. His ...
- Men With Guns - Starring Federico Luppi, Tania Cruz, Mandy Patinkin
- To the Wonder - Starring Ben Affleck, Olga Kurylenko, Rachel McAdams, Javier Bardem, Tatiana Chiline
- American Teen - Starring Hannah Bailey, Colin Clemens, Megan Krizmanich, Mitch Reinholt, Jake Tusing
- Encyclopedia: Indian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Indian Political Geography.