Glamis (glämz) [key], village, Angus, E Scotland. King Malcolm II died (1034) nearby, and a sculptured cross in the village is known as King Malcolm's Gravestone. Macbeth was thane of Glamis, and the castle, seat of the earl of Strathmore, is erroneously claimed to be the scene of Duncan's murder in Shakespeare's play.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Glamis from Infoplease:
- Margaret - Margaret Margaret, 1930–2002, British princess, second daughter of King George VI and sister ...
- William Shakespeare: Macbeth, Act I, Scene V - They met me in the day of success: and I have learned by the perfectest report, they have more in them than mortal knowledge. When I burned in desire
- Elizabeth, the Queen Mother - Biography of Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, The mother of Queen Elizabeth II
- Princess Margaret - Biography of Princess Margaret, Sister to Queen Elizabeth II
- William Shakespeare: Macbeth, Act I, Scene III - Where hast thou been, sister?