Gilbert and Ellice Islands
Gilbert and Ellice Islands, former British colony in the central and S Pacific; see Kiribati and Tuvalu.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Gilbert and Ellice Islands from Infoplease:
- Gilbert and Ellice Islands: meaning and definitions - Gilbert and Ellice Islands: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/gilbert and ellice islands - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Kiritimati - Kiritimati Kiritimati , largest atoll in the Pacific (1990 pop. 2,537), 222 sq mi (575 sq km), in ...
- Tarawa - Tarawa Tarawa , atoll (1990 pop. 28,802), capital of Kiribati, central Pacific, previously capital ...
- Teraina - Teraina Teraina , atoll (1990 pop. 936), 3 sq mi (7.8 sq km), central Pacific, one of the Line ...