Ganzhou or Kanchow (both: gänˈjōˈ) [key], city (1994 est. pop. 239,400), SW Jiangxi prov., China, on the Gan River. It is a large transportation, distribution, and commercial center. Fertilizer and wood products are manufactured in the city, and tungsten and tin mines are nearby. The city was formerly known as Ganxian.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Ganzhou from Infoplease:
- Ganxian - Ganxian: Ganxian: see Ganzhou, China.
- Kanchow - Kanchow: Kanchow: see Ganzhou, China.
- Gan - Gan Gan or Kan, river, c.550 mi (885 km) long, flowing north through the plain of central Jiangxi ...
- Gao Xingjian - Gao Xingjian Gao Xingjian , 1940–, Chinese-French novelist and playwright, b. Ganzhou. He ...
- Jiangxi - Jiangxi Jiangxi or Kiangsi, province (1994 est. pop. 38,930,000), c.66,000 sq mi (170,940 sq km), ...