Gan or Kan (both: gän) [key], river, c.550 mi (885 km) long, flowing north through the plain of central Jiangxi prov., SE China, past Nanchang to Poyang lake. Despite many rapids, it is navigable for junks below Ganzhou and for steamers up to Nanchang. The lower Gan valley is fertile; rice and tea are the main crops.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Gan from Infoplease:
- gan: meaning and definitions - gan: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ramat Gan: meaning and definitions - Ramat Gan: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ramat Gan - Ramat Gan Ramat Gan , city (1994 pop. 122,200), W central Israel, adjacent to Tel Aviv. Founded in ...
- Herbert Gans - Gans, Herbert Gans, Herbert , 1927–, American sociologist and educator, b. Cologne, Germany. ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/gan - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus