Funafuti (fōnäfōˈtē) [key], chief atoll of Tuvalu, S Pacific. It comprises 30 islets of a reef 13 mi (21 km) long, with a land area of c.1 sq mi (2.6 sq km). The islet of FongafaleThe atoll was discovered in 1819 and became part of a British colony in 1915. An expedition led by Sir Edgeworth David in 1897 proved the Darwinian theory of atoll formation (see coral reefs) by sinking a 1,100 ft (335 m) bore into the island.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Funafuti from Infoplease:
- Funafuti: meaning and definitions - Funafuti: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/funafuti - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Tuvalu - Information on Tuvalu — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Tuvalu: meaning and definitions - Tuvalu: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index fun Funafuti funambulist fun and games Funchal function functionable functional ...