French Southern and Antarctic Lands
French Southern and Antarctic Lands, overseas territory of France, including Adélie Land, which covers c.200,000 sq mi (520,000 sq km) in Antarctica, and a number of islands in the S Indian Ocean. The largest of these is Kerguelen (1,318 sq mi/3,414 sq km). One of 300 islands in the Kerguelen Archipelago, it is a base for research, seal hunting, and whaling. The Crozet Islands, to the west, and Saint Paul and Amsterdam islands, to the northeast, are also part of the territory.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on French Southern and Antarctic Lands from Infoplease:
- French Southern and Antarctic Lands - Map of French Southern and Antarctic Lands & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.
- Southern and Antarctic Lands - Information on Southern and Antarctic Lands — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- Kerguelen - Kerguelen Kerguelen , subantarctic island of volcanic origin, 1,318 sq mi (3,414 sq km), in the S ...
- Territories, Colonies, and Dependencies - Territories, Colonies, and Dependencies Source: The World Factbook, 2005 The following is a list of ...
- Madagascar - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Madagascar and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Madagascar — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.