Fort McMurray, town (1991 pop. 34,706), NE Alta., Canada, on the Athabasca and Clearwater rivers. Since the beginning of the mining of Alberta's oil sands in 1964, the town's population has grown from 1,200. It is an important river port and transshipment point for the Northwest Territories.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Fort McMurray from Infoplease:
- Fort McMurray: meaning and definitions - Fort McMurray: Definition and Pronunciation
- McMurray - McMurray McMurray, town, NE Alta., Canada, on the Athabasca River. It is an important river port ...
- Athabasca - Athabasca Athabasca , river, 765 mi (1,231 km) long, rising in the Columbia snowfield of the ...
- Alberta: Land and People - Land and People Alberta is bounded on the E by Saskatchewan, on the N by the Northwest Territories, ...
- Encyclopedia: Canadian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Canadian Political Geography.