| Share
 

Fort Beauséjour

Fort Beauséjour (bōsāzhōrˈ) [key], N.B., Canada, near Amherst, N.S. Built by the French between 1751 and 1755 to command Chignecto isthmus between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, it was captured (1755) by British and American troops under General Monckton and was renamed Fort Cumberland. Since 1926 it has been the site of Fort Beauséjour National Historic Park.

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.

See more Encyclopedia articles on: Canadian Political Geography


Premium Partner Content
HighBeam Research
Documents Images and Maps Reference
(from Newspapers, Magazines, Journals, Newswires, Transcripts and Books)

Research our extensive archive of more than 80 million articles from 6,500 publications.

Additional search results provided by HighBeam Research, LLC. © Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

24 X 7

Private Tutor

Click Here for Details
24 x 7 Tutor Availability
Unlimited Online Tutoring
1-on-1 Tutoring