Flintshire, Welsh Sir y Fflint, county, 169 sq mi (437 sq km), NE Wales. In 1974, the county of Flintshire became part of the nonmetropolitan county of Clwyd, but in 1996 Clwyd was dissolved and Flintshire restored. Mold is the administrative center of the county.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Flintshire from Infoplease:
- Flintshire: meaning and definitions - Flintshire: Definition and Pronunciation
- Clwyd, former county, Wales - Clwyd Clwyd , former county, N Wales, created in 1974 from Flintshire and parts of Denbighshire and ...
- flint: meaning and definitions - flint: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hawarden - Hawarden Hawarden , town, Flintshire, NE Wales. There are ruins of a 13th-century castle on the ...
- Flint, town, Wales - Flint Flint, Welsh Fflint, town (1981 pop. 11,398), Flintshire, NE Wales, on the Dee estuary. Flint ...