Faial (fäyälˈ) [key], island (1991 pop. 15,155), 66 sq mi (171 sq km), in the N Atlantic, one of the central Azores, Portugal. It is in Horta dist., named for the island's chief town and port, Horta. Fruit and wine are exported, cattle are raised, and traditional crafts are manufactured.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Faial from Infoplease:
- Faial: meaning and definitions - Faial: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/faial - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Fayal: meaning and definitions - Fayal: Definition and Pronunciation
- Horta - Horta Horta , town (1991 pop. 4,907), capital of Horta dist., in the Azores, Portugal, on Faial ...
- Azores - Azores Azores , Port. Açores [Port.,=hawks], islands (1991 pop. 241,592), 905 sq mi (2,344 ...