Europa Island (yŏrōˈpə) [key], volcanic island, c.11 sq mi (28 sq km), between Madagascar and Mozambique in the Mozambique Channel, W Indian Ocean. A possession of France since 1897, Europa is flat, low-lying, and heavily wooded. Classified as a wildlife sanctuary, it is the site of a small military garrison. a weather station, and a tiny airstrip. Administered by a commissioner based in Réunion, the island is also claimed by Madagascar.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Europa Island from Infoplease:
- Europa Island - Map of Europa Island & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.
- Madagascar - Madagascar Madagascar , officially Republic of Madagascar, republic (2005 est. pop. 18,040,000), ...
- French Possessions - French Possessions Bassas da India (0.1 sq mi, 0.2 sq km), a French possession since 1897, is an ...
- Territories, Colonies, and Dependencies - Territories, Colonies, and Dependencies Source: The World Factbook, 2005 The following is a list of ...
- Encyclopedia: African Physical Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning African Physical Geography.