Esquimalt (skwĪˈmôlt, –mălt, ĕskwĪˈ–) [key], regional district (1991 pop. 16,129), on Vancouver Island, SW British Columbia, Canada, just SW of Victoria. It has the chief naval station and naval dockyard of W Canada. The station was established by the British government in 1855 and taken over by Canada in 1906.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Esquimalt from Infoplease:
- Esquimalt: meaning and definitions - Esquimalt: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/esquimalt - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Sir Frederick William Borden - Borden, Sir Frederick William Borden, Sir Frederick William, 1847–1917, Canadian statesman, ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index er era eradiate eradicable eradicate erase eraser erasing head erasion ...
- Vancouver Island - Vancouver Island Vancouver Island (1991 pop. 579,921), 12,408 sq mi (32,137 sq km), SW British ...