Esbjerg (ĕsˈbyĕr) [key], city (1992 pop. 72,205), Ribe co., SW Denmark, a port on the North Sea. It is a commercial and industrial center, and Denmark's largest fishing port. Esbjerg's main development came after the construction (late 19th cent.) of its harbor. Esbjerg has ferry connections to the Faeroe Islands and serves as a base for Danish exploration of oil and gas in the North Sea.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Esbjerg from Infoplease:
- Esbjerg: meaning and definitions - Esbjerg: Definition and Pronunciation
- Denmark - Denmark Denmark , Dan. Danmark, officially Kingdom of Denmark, kingdom (2005 est. pop. 5,432,000), ...
- Jutland - Jutland Jutland , Dan. Jylland, Ger. Jütland, peninsula, c.250 mi (400 km) long and up to 110 ...
- Denmark - Information on Denmark — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Encyclopedia: Scandinavian Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Scandinavian Political Geography.