Enniskillen (ĕnĭskĭlˈən) [key], town (1991 pop. 10,429), Fermanagh dist., SW Northern Ireland, on Cethlin's Island in the Erne River between Upper and Lower Loughs Erne. Farm produce is traded, and hosiery is manufactured. In 1689 the forces of William III defeated those of James II at Enniskillen.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Enniskillen from Infoplease:
- Lady Enniskillen - Lady Enniskillen (Nancy MacLennon) Age: 80 widow of the sixth Earl of Enniskillen, Scotland. She ...
- Enniskillens - Enniskillens The 6th Dragoons; instituted 1689, on account of their brave defence of the town of ...
- Fermanagh: meaning and definitions - Fermanagh: Definition and Pronunciation
- Fermanagh - Fermanagh Fermanagh , district (1991 pop. 50,250), 656 sq mi (1,699 sq km), SW Northern Ireland. ...
- Cox, Eleanor Rogers - Born at Enniskillen, Ireland. Came with family to the United States in childhood; citizen; educated at St. Gabriel's High School and private tuition.