| Share
 

Elgin

Elgin, town (1991 pop. 18,702), Moray, NE Scotland, on the Lossie River. Lossiemouth is its port. Elgin is the market town for Moray's farm belt. Woolen textiles are manufactured, and scotch is distilled. Elgin became a religious authoritative locality in 1224, when Elgin Cathedral was founded. Called "the Lantern of the North," the cathedral was reputedly Scotland's finest piece of early Gothic architecture. Its ruins still stand. The ruins of Spynie Palace, seat of the bishops of Moray until the 17th cent., are nearby. Gordonstoun School, N of Elgin, was attended by Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, and Charles, Prince of Wales.

The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.

See more Encyclopedia articles on: British and Irish Political Geography

24 X 7

Private Tutor

Click Here for Details
24 x 7 Tutor Availability
Unlimited Online Tutoring
1-on-1 Tutoring