Edam (ādämˈ) [key], town (1994 pop. 25,640), North Holland prov., N central Netherlands, on the Markermeer; chartered 1357. It is a picturesque town that attracts many tourists. Edam is noted for its cheese.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Edam from Infoplease:
- Edam: meaning and definitions - Edam: Definition and Pronunciation
- Leyden: meaning and definitions - Leyden: Definition and Pronunciation
- Alkmaar - Alkmaar Alkmaar , city (1994 pop. 92,962), North Holland prov., NW Netherlands. It is an important ...
- Max Liebermann - Liebermann, Max Liebermann, Max , 1847–1935, German genre painter and etcher. He went to ...
- Netherlands: Land and People - Land and People The Netherlands has 12 provinces: Zeeland, South Holland, North Holland, Friesland, ...