Doha (dōˈhä) [key], city (1994 est. pop. 361,500), capital of Qatar, SE Arabia, on the Persian Gulf. Doha was a small fishing and pearling village until oil production in Qatar began in 1949. Since then it has become a modern city, with a deepwater port and an international airport. Fishing is still an important industry. Qatar Univ. and Education City (a cluster of U.S. overseas campuses) are there; the Museum of Islamic Art was designed by I. M. Pei.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Doha from Infoplease:
- Doha: meaning and definitions - Doha: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/doha - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Qatar - Information on Qatar — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Qatar: meaning and definitions - Qatar: Definition and Pronunciation
- Qatar - Qatar Qatar or Katar, officially State of Qatar, independent emirate (2005 est. pop. 863,000), ...