Dimitrovgrad (dĭmēˈtrôvgrät) [key], city (1993 pop. 50,740), S Bulgaria, on the Maritsa River. Located on the Belgrade-Sofia-İstanbul RR, the city has one of Bulgaria's largest cement works, as well as several thermoelectric power stations that provide power to coal-mining areas nearby. The city was built in 1947 and incorporated three existing towns—Rakovski, Mariino, and Chernakonovo. Several engineering schools are in the city, which is named for Bulgarian Communist leader Georgi Dimitrov.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Bulgarian Political Geography