Desna (dyĭsnäˈ) [key], river, c.740 mi (1,190 km) long, Russia and Ukraine. It is a main tributary of the Dnieper. Rising SE of Smolensk, the Desna flows S and SW past Bryansk and Chernihiv, joining the Dnieper above Kiev. It is navigable for c.330 mi (530 km) below Novgorod Seversky, Ukraine.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Desna from Infoplease:
- Desna: meaning and definitions - Desna: Definition and Pronunciation
- Chernigov: meaning and definitions - Chernigov: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bryansk: meaning and definitions - Bryansk: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bryansk - Bryansk Bryansk , city (1989 pop. 452,000), capital of Bryansk region, central European Russia, on ...
- Dnieper - Dnieper Dnieper , Rus. Dnepr, Ukr. Dnipro, river, c.1,430 mi (2,300 km) long, in Russia, Belarus, ...