De-shima (dāˈ-shĭmä) [key] or De-jima dāˈ-jĭmä, artificial island, c.40 acres (16 hectares), Nagasaki prefecture, W Kyushu, Japan, in Nagasaki harbor. It has many docks and is connected by bridge to the city of Nagasaki. Dutch traders were restricted (1641–1858) to this island after Japan closed (17th cent.) its borders to foreign trade.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on De-shima from Infoplease:
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Japanese Physical Geography