Davos (dävôsˈ) [key], town (1990 pop. 10,957), Grisons canton, E Switzerland, on the Landwasser River. A famous winter sports center, it originally became prominent in the 19th cent. as a health resort. Since 1971 (except for 2002–3), Davos has hosted the annual conference of what is now the World Economic Forum; the conference draws national leaders and business executives from around the world. There are several museums, including one devoted to Ernst Ludwig Kirchner.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Davos from Infoplease:
- Alps: Economy - Economy Below the snowline is a treeless zone of alpine pastures that have for generations been ...
- Ernst Ludwig Kirchner - Kirchner, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Ernst Ludwig , 1880–1938, German expressionist painter and ...
- Grisons - Grisons Grisons , Ger. Graubünden, Ital. Grigioni, Romansch Grischun, canton (1990 pop. ...
- A Grin Without a Cat (Le fond de l'air est rouge) - Starring Laurence Guvillier, Davos Hanich, François Maspero, Yves Montand, François Périer
- Encyclopedia: Swiss Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Swiss Political Geography.