Cotopaxi (kōtōpăkˈsē) [key], active volcano, 19,347 ft (5,897 m) high, N central Ecuador. A symmetrical snowcapped cone in the Andes, it is one of the highest volcanoes in the world. It is continuously active, and frequent eruptions have caused severe damage. Cotopaxi was first scaled by Wilhelm Reiss in 1872.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Cotopaxi from Infoplease:
- Cotopaxi: meaning and definitions - Cotopaxi: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/cotopaxi - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Latacunga - Latacunga Latacunga , city (1990 pop. 39,882), capital of Cotopaxi prov., N central Ecuador. A town ...
- Chimborazo - Chimborazo Chimborazo , inactive volcano, 20,577 ft (6,272 m) high, central Ecuador; the highest in ...
- Composite Volcanoes - Composite Volcanoes Composite volcanoes, sometimes called stratovolcanoes, are typically ...