Coatzacoalcos (kwätsäkwälˈkōs) [key], city (1990 pop. 198,817), Veracruz state, E central Mexico, at the mouth of the Coatzacoalcos River. It is a port on the Gulf of Campeche, as well as the northern terminus of rail traffic across the Isthmus of Tehuantepec. Highway communications are also good. The city is an important commercial center; oil, sulfur, and timber are exported.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Coatzacoalcos from Infoplease:
- Isthmus of Tehuantepec - Tehuantepec, Isthmus of Tehuantepec, Isthmus of, c.125 mi (200 km) wide at its narrowest, S Mexico, ...
- Veracruz, state, Mexico - Veracruz Veracruz [Span.,=true cross], officially Veracruz Llave, state (1990 pop. 6,228,239), ...
- Salma Hayek - Biography of Salma Hayek, Star of the movie Frida
- Salma Hayek - Salma Hayek actress Born: 9/2/1966 Birthplace: Coatzacoalcos, Mexico Actress who left a blooming ...
- Encyclopedia: Mexican Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Mexican Political Geography.