Chuuk (chŏk) [key] or Truk trŏk, trŭk, state (1990 est. pop. 48,853), c.39 sq mi (100 sq km), Federated States of Micronesia, W Pacific, in the E Caroline Islands. One of four states comprising the Federated States of Micronesia, Chuuk consists of c.55 volcanic islands surrounded by an atoll reef and many islets. The chief products are copra and dried fish. During World War II, Chuuk was the site of an important Japanese naval base.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Chuuk from Infoplease:
- Truk - Truk Truk : see Chuuk.
- Micronesia - Information on Micronesia — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Federated States of Micronesia - Micronesia, Federated States of Micronesia, Federated States of, independent nation (2005 est. pop. ...
- Caroline Islands - Caroline Islands Caroline Islands, archipelago, c.830 sq mi (2,150 sq km), W Pacific, just north of ...
- Encyclopedia: Pacific Islands Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Pacific Islands Political Geography.