Chita (chētäˈ) [key], city (1989 pop. 366,000), capital of Chita region, SE Siberian Russia, at the confluence of the Chita and Ingoda rivers and on the Trans-Siberian RR. Railroad and food-processing equipment are manufactured. Founded in 1653, Chita was a place of exile of the 19th-century Decembrist rebels.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Chita from Infoplease:
- Chita: meaning and definitions - Chita: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/chita - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Rivera, Chita - Rivera, Chita (Dolores Conchita Figuero del Rivero) dancer, actress, singer Birthplace: Washington, ...
- Handa - Handa Handa , city (1990 pop. 99,330), Aichi prefecture, S central Honshu, Japan, on the Chita ...
- Hekinan - Hekinan Hekinan , city (1990 pop. 65,899), Aichi prefecture, central Honshu, Japan, near Chita Bay. ...