Chesterfield, city (1991 pop. 73,352) and district, Derbyshire, central England. An important industrial center, Chesterfield produces mining equipment, railroad cars, metal products, glass, and pottery. Of interest are the Stephenson Memorial Hall (named in honor of the inventor George Stephenson, who lived and is buried there), the 16th-century grammar school, and the 14th-century church with a twisted spire.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Chesterfield from Infoplease:
- chesterfield: meaning and definitions - chesterfield: Definition and Pronunciation
- stanhope: meaning and definitions - stanhope: Definition and Pronunciation
- Chesterfield, Philip Dormer Stanhope, 4th earl of - Chesterfield, Philip Dormer Stanhope, 4th earl of Chesterfield, Philip Dormer Stanhope, 4th earl ...
- Chesterfield - Chesterfield lauded by Thomson in his Winter is the fourth earl, author of Chesterfield's ...
- Chesterfield, Missouri, Social Statistics - Missouri Atlas Social Statistics Chesterfield, Missouri QuickFacts · Demographic · ...