Cherepovets (chĕrĭpəvyĕtsˈ, chĕrĭpôˈvyĭts) [key], city (1989 pop. 310,000), NE European Russia, on the Rybinsk Reservoir. A rail and water transportation center of the Volga-Baltic Waterway, it has an iron and steel complex that supplies St. Petersburg's metallurgical industries. Chemical plants for the production of fertilizers and lumber mills are found there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Cherepovets from Infoplease:
- Cherepovets: meaning and definitions - Cherepovets: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/cherepovets - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Sheksna - Sheksna Sheksna , river, c.100 mi (160 km) long flowing S between Lake Beloye and the Rybinsk ...
- Volga-Baltic Waterway - Volga-Baltic Waterway Volga-Baltic Waterway, canal and river system, c.685 mi (1,100 km) long, N ...
- Torpedo Bombers (Torpedonostsy) - Starring Rodion Nahapetov, Aleksei Zharkov, Andrei Boltnev, Stanislav Sadalsky, Tatyana Kravchenko