Cauca (kouˈkä) [key], river, c.800 mi (1,290 km) long, rising in the Cordillera Central, near Popayán, W Colombia. It flows north in a rift valley between the Cordillera Central and Cordillera Occidental to the Magdalena River. It is navigable in its lower course and drains a fertile valley; coffee is the chief crop. The valley has many minerals including gold. There is a river-control and utilization scheme on the upper Cauca.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Cauca from Infoplease:
- Cauca: meaning and definitions - Cauca: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/cauca - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Pereira - Pereira Pereira , city (1993 pop. 348,023), capital of Risaralda dept., W central Colombia, in the ...
- Cali - Cali Cali , city (1993 pop. 1,641,498), capital of Valle del Cauca dept., W Colombia, on the Cali ...
- Tomás Cipriano de Mosquera - Mosquera, Tomás Cipriano de Mosquera, Tomás Cipriano de , 1798–1878, Colombian ...