Brienz (brēĕntsˈ) [key], town (1990 pop. 2,849), Bern canton, central Switzerland, on the northeast shore of the Lake of Brienz. A center of the Swiss woodcarving industry, it is also a resort. The Lake of Brienz (11 sq mi/28 sq km), traversed by the Aare River, is highly scenic.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Brienz from Infoplease:
- Brienz: meaning and definitions - Brienz: Definition and Pronunciation
- Interlaken: meaning and definitions - Interlaken: Definition and Pronunciation
- Interlaken - Interlaken Interlaken , town (1990 est. pop. 5,180), Bern canton, central Switzerland, between the ...
- Aare - Aare Aare or Aar, longest river entirely in Switzerland, 183 mi (295 km) long, rising in the ...
- Alps: Geology - Geology Geologically, the Alps were formed during the Oligocene and Miocene epochs as a result of ...