Bora-Bora (bōˈrä-bōˈrä) [key], volcanic island, 15 sq mi (39 sq km), South Pacific, in the Leeward group of the Society Islands, French Polynesia. It is a mountainous island, with Mt. Otemanu (2,379 ft/725 m) the highest peak. Bora-Bora has a good harbor, which is a large lagoon surrounded by coral islets. Copra, oranges, and vanilla are produced on the island. Tourism is a major source of commerce.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Bora-Bora from Infoplease:
- Bora Bora: meaning and definitions - Bora Bora: Definition and Pronunciation
- Borås - Borås Borås , city (1990 pop. 59,710), Älvsborg co., SW Sweden, on the Viskan ...
- French Polynesia - Map of French Polynesia & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.
- Top Ten Best Honeymoon Destinations, 2012 - A list of the top ten best honeymoon destinations, according to TheKnot.com
- Society Islands - Society Islands Society Islands, island group (2002 pop. 214,445), South Pacific, a part of French ...