Biwa (bēˈwä) [key], lake, c.40 mi (60 km) long and from 2 to 12 mi (3.2–19 km) wide, Shiga prefecture, S Honshu, Japan. The lake, shaped like the biwa, a musical instrument, is the largest in Japan and is a popular scenic resort. It abounds in fish, harbors a pearl culture industry, and is famous in Japanese legends. Canals from the lake to Kyoto provide water supply and a transportation route.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Biwa from Infoplease:
- Biwa: meaning and definitions - Biwa: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/biwa - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Omi: meaning and definitions - Omi: Definition and Pronunciation
- Shiga - Shiga Shiga , prefecture (1990 pop. 1,222,401), S Honshu, Japan. Otsu (the capital) and Hikone are ...
- Otsu - Otsu Otsu , city (1990 pop. 260,018), capital of Shiga prefecture, S Honshu, Japan. It is a tourist ...