Berezina (byĕrāzēnäˈ) [key], river, c.380 mi (610 km) long, rising in Belarus. It flows generally S past Borisov and Bobruysk into the Dnieper River. It is navigable for most of its length. The heroic retreat across the Berezina of the remnants of Napoleon's Grand Army took place near Borisov from Nov. 26 to Nov. 29, 1812. The crossing—effected under heavy Russian attack—saved Napoleon and his forces from capture, but lost the lives of more than 20,000 men.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Berezina from Infoplease:
- Berezina: meaning and definitions - Berezina: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/berezina - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Minsk: meaning and definitions - Minsk: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bobruysk - Bobruysk Bobruysk , Belarusian Babruysk, city (1989 pop. 221,166), central Belarus, a port on the ...
- Dvina, river, Russia, Belarus, and Latvia - Dvina Dvina or Western Dvina,Ger. Düna, Latvian Daugava, Rus. Zapadnaya Dvina, river, c.635 mi ...