Berbera (bûrˈbərə) [key], city (1985 est. pop. 67,000), N Somalia, a port on the Gulf of Aden. The city, which was first described in the 13th cent. by Arab geographers, was taken in 1875 by the rulers of Egypt; when they withdrew in 1884 to fight the Mahdi in Sudan, Britain took Berbera. It served until 1941 as the winter capital of British Somaliland was the site of a Soviet naval and missile base in the 1970s.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Berbera from Infoplease:
- Berbera: meaning and definitions - Berbera: Definition and Pronunciation
- Somalia: Land and People - Land and People Arid, semidesert conditions make the country relatively unproductive. In most ...
- Encyclopedia: Somalia Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Somalia Political Geography.
- Somalia - Information on Somalia — map and flag of Somalia, geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities
- Somalia - Somalia Profile: Geography, History, Government, Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Somali Relations