Belmopan (bĕlˌmōpänˈ) [key], city (1993 est. pop. 3,900), E Belize, capital of Belize. A new city, it was constructed on the Belize R., 50 mi (80 km) inland from the former capital of then British Honduras, the port of Belize City, after that city's near destruction by a hurricane in 1961. The government was moved to Belmopan in 1970. The National Assembly Building's design is based on an ancient Mayan motif.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Belmopan from Infoplease:
- Belmopan: meaning and definitions - Belmopan: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/belmopan - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Belize - Information on Belize — map of Belize, geography, flag of Belize, history, politics, government, economy, population, culture, religion, languages, largest cities
- Belize: meaning and definitions - Belize: Definition and Pronunciation
- Belize - Belize Belize , independent state within the Commonwealth of Nations (2005 est. pop. 279,500), ...