Batangas (bätänˈgäs) [key], city (1990 pop. 184,970), capital of Batangas prov., SW Luzon, the Philippines. An important port on the Calumpan River near its mouth on Batangas Bay, it has a large oil refinery and serves a fertile farm area noted for its fruits, cacao, and coffee. Tourist attractions in Batangas province include Lake Taal, with its active volcano (which erupted in 1965, causing extensive damage and many deaths), and the popular summer resort city of Tagaytay.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Batangas from Infoplease:
- Batangas: meaning and definitions - Batangas: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/batangas - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index B.A.S. basad basal basal body basal cell basal cell carcinoma basal conglomerate ...
- Encyclopedia: Philippines Political Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Philippines Political Geography.
- Philippines - Learn about the history, geography and culture of the Philippines and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Philippines — map of the Philippines, geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, and the national flag.