Basseterre, town (1990 est. pop. 15,500), capital of St. Kitts and Nevis, on St. Kitts island, West Indies. It is one of the chief commercial depots of the Leeward Islands. Sugar refining is the leading industry. Basseterre was founded by the French in 1627.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Basseterre from Infoplease:
- Basseterre: meaning and definitions - Basseterre: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/basseterre - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- St. Kitts and Nevis - Information on St. Kitts and Nevis — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- St. Kitts-Nevis: meaning and definitions - St. Kitts-Nevis: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index B.A.S. basad basal basal body basal cell basal cell carcinoma basal conglomerate ...