Bas-Rhin (bä-răNˈ) [key], department (1990 pop. 958,000), E France, in N Alsace. Strasbourg is the capital and the commercial and industrial center.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Bas-Rhin from Infoplease:
- Bas-Rhin: meaning and definitions - Bas-Rhin: Definition and Pronunciation
- Strasbourg: meaning and definitions - Strasbourg: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jean Frédéric Oberlin - Oberlin, Jean Frédéric Oberlin, Jean Frédéric , 1740–1826, ...
- Alsace - Alsace Alsace , Ger. Elsass, region and former province, E France. It is separated from Germany by ...
- Strasbourg - Strasbourg Strasbourg , Ger. Strassburg, city (1990 pop. 255,931), capital of Bas-Rhin dept., NE ...