Barisan (bärēsänˈ) [key], volcanic mountain range, c.1,000 mi (1,600 km) long, paralleling the western coast of Sumatra island, Indonesia. It rises to Mt. Kerinci (12,467 ft/3,800 m high). Numerous lakes are found in the mountains, including Toba, the largest in Indonesia.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Barisan from Infoplease:
- Mount Kerinci - Kerinci, Mount Kerinci, Mount, or Mount Kerintji, peak, 12,467 ft (3,800 m) high, in the Pegunungan ...
- Musi - Musi Musi , river, c.325 mi (520 km) long, rising in the Pegunungan Barisan, S Sumatra, Indonesia. ...
- Sumatra - Sumatra Sumatra , island (1990 pop. 36,471,731), c.183,000 sq mi (473,970 sq km), Indonesia, in the ...
- Encyclopedia: Southeast Asia Physical Geography - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Southeast Asia Physical Geography.
- Thailand - Learn about the history, geography and culture of Thailand and find statistical and demographic information.|Information on Thailand — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.