Bareilly (bərāˈlē) [key], city (1991 pop. 617,350), Uttar Pradesh state, N central India, on the Ramganga River. It is a district administrative headquarters, a transportation, and a sugar-refining and cotton-trading center. Founded in 1657, Bareilly was the capital (1707–20) of the Hindu Rohilla kingdom. It was ceded to Great Britain in 1801.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
More on Bareilly from Infoplease:
- Bareilly: meaning and definitions - Bareilly: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/bareilly - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Sitapur - Sitapur Sitapur , town (1991 pop. 121,842), Uttar Pradesh state, N central India. The town is a ...
- Uttar Pradesh - Uttar Pradesh Uttar Pradesh , state (2001 provisional pop. 166,052,859), 92,804 sq mi (240,363 sq ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index bal Bala Balaam balaclava Balaguer Balak Balaklava Balakovo balalaika balance ...